Sunday, February 01, 2009

shrimp and leek linguine in white wine sauce


I must have really bad cabin fever, because lately I've been dreaming about the beach and craving tropical food. Well, this meal may have taken place in our house, during the winter, but it was delicious and definitely a good seafood meal. This is a great one pot meal that is perfect when served with just a salad. For the salad, I made a "tropical vinaigrette", but I had to change the original recipe I had and did not record what I did to it. I'll try to post it on here next time I make it.

For dessert, I made the Banana Rum Coconut Cookies.

This meal is both simple and tasty, yet just as delicious as the title sounds.

Taken from The Fresh Market and Friends Cookbook.

I N G R E D I E N T S :

1 lb. small-medium shrimp, peeled and deveined (I used frozen)
1 3/4 cup water (I'm still not sure where this actually comes in...but since it's on the recipe I've included it)
4 T olive oil
2 large garlic cloves, minced
1-2 1/2 cups leeks (white and pale green parts only from about 2 large leeks, thinly sliced)
1/8-1/4 cup peperoncini, minced (I left this out)
3T fresh oregano, minced
3 T lemon peel, minced (again, I left this out. I can't ever get enough lemon peel off my lemons!)
1/4 cup dry white wine
1/2 cup clam juice
1/4 cup chicken stock
2 T fresh lemon juice
12 oz. linguine or angel hair pasta
fresh parsley, chopped

D I R E C T I O N S :

Heat 2 Tablespoons oil in heavy large skillet over medium-high heat. Add garlic and saute until soft, about 1 minute. Stir in leeks, peperoncini, oregano, and lemon peel. Cover and cook until leeks are soft, about 3 minutes. Uncover, add wine, lemon juice, clam juice, and chicken stock. Increase heat to high for 1 minute. Remove from heat, keep warm. Begin to cook pasta in boiling salted water until al dente.

Meanwhite, heat 2-3 Tablespoons of oilive oil over medium-high heat in a heavy skillet. Saute shrimp just until pink. Season with salt and pepper.

Drain pasta reserving about 1 cup liquid*. Return pasta to cooking pot, turn heat on, and toss pasta with leek mixture and shrimp. Add reserved liquid if desired. Heat through, season to taste. Serve immediately. Garnish with pasta.

*I did not reserve any liquid, because the sauce had plenty of it. I think it would have been too watery had I reserved any water from the pasta. Once everything was mixed, it had a good amount of liquid so it did not stick, but wasn't too watery.

2 comments:

MLS said...

Yum!!! I am going to print this one and try it myself!!

N said...

Good! Let me know if you try it and like it!