Friday, March 27, 2009

citrus salad toss


If you can't tell, I love salads with fruits, nuts, and cheese. Tonight I made a new one I found on The Sisters' Cafe blog, and it was delicious.
I omitted the onion and avocados, only because my husband does not like either. I think both would be great in this salad and give it added depth and flavor, but I decided to leave them out since I knew only one of us would enjoy that part :).


Citrus Salad Toss
Adapted from The Sisters' Cafe

I N G R E D I E N T S :

Romaine or spring mix (I used red leaf lettuce)
1 red onion, sliced
1 large orange, peeled and sliced
1 pt. strawberries, cut up
2 avocados, cut up
sugared pecans (I used candied walnuts)
(I also used some shaved parmesan cheese)

Dressing:
1/2 cup oil
1/4 cup lime juice
2 T orange juice
2 T sugar
1 tsp grated lime zest
1 tsp grated orange zest

D I R E C T I O N S :

For sugared pecans, mix the sugar and pecans in skillet. Cook over low heat until the sugar melts, stirring to coat well. Be patient, this can take awhile. However, you want to be vigilant because when the sugar finally melts, you have to move fast. Put on wax paper to cool.
(The recipe I use for candied walnuts and pecans can be found here)

Mix all dressing ingredients and let sit for awhile so the flavors can blend.

(I made the dressing separately and we added it to our own salad bowls).

No comments: