Thursday, April 09, 2009

southwestern soup


i made this soup the other night based off of this recipe i found in southern living and another one a friend had passed to me. this soup is easy, very good, and also healthy! i thought that the addition of avocado was especially good, if you like avocado. and of course, how could cheese, sour cream, and tortilla chips do anything except make it more delicious (well, besides making it less nutritious!)? here is my version.

I N G R E D I E N T S :

1 lb. ground beef
1 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 green pepper, chopped
2 (16-oz) cans light red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1 (15-oz) can black beans, rinsed and drained
2 (14.5-oz) cans mild tomatoes and green chilies (mild rotel), undrained
2 cups beef broth (i made mine from bullion cubes)
2 cups frozen yellow corn
1/2-1 cup salsa
one envelope taco seasoning mix. I did not have a packet of this, but the following spices* are a good substitute:
1 Tbsp. chili powder
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
1/4 tsp. onion powder
1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes
1/4 tsp. dried oregano
1/2 tsp. paprika
1 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. pepper

optional 2 Tbsp. cilantro (I did not have any but I think it would be a great addition)
toppings: shredded cheese, sour cream, avocado, and tortilla chips

*spice substitute mixture found here at allrecipes.com

D I R E C T I O N S :
1. Brown ground beef, onion, green pepper, and garlic in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat, stirring often, 10 to 12 minutes or until meat crumbles and is no longer pink and onion is softened; drain.

2. Stir in kidney beans and the rest of the ingredients, minus the cilantro. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer 30 minutes or until thoroughly heated.

If soup is too thick for your preference, you may add up to 4 cups water. I did not do this and my soup was just nice and thick like chili, but the original recipe says to. If using cilantro, stir in 2 Tbsp. just before serving. Serve with desired toppings.

No comments: