Tuesday, August 18, 2009

baked zucchini crisps


A friend gave me her share of CSA produce last week, so I had several great vegetables to make throughout the week with dinner. One thing I had was zucchini, which I've never really cooked before. I remembered I had a recipe for Zucchini Crisps in my recipe folder from a few years ago that I had never used, so I decided to give it a try. I thought they were really good! They taste similar to baked summer squash that I've made, but I like the ingredients for this recipe and thought they gave it a great flavor. I will certainly make these again. We had these with eggplant parmesan, because I also had eggplant to cook, and some parmesan angel hair pasta...it was our little "tour of italy", lol. But i do think this is a good vegetable side to serve with italian food.

The recipe says to use an oven proof wire rack, but I didn't have one, so I used a baking sheet. My "crisps" were definitely not crispy, and I think that may have been why. They were still really good though.

So the next time you have Zucchini and aren't sure what to make, give these a try!

recipe from Cooking Light Magazine
Original recipe here (their picture is much prettier than mine!)

4 servings (serving size: about 3/4 cup)

I N G R E D I E N T S :

1/4 cup dry breadcrumbs
1/4 cup (1 ounce) grated fresh Parmesan cheese
1/4 teaspoon seasoned salt
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons fat-free milk
2 1/2 cups (1/4-inch-thick) slices zucchini (about 2 small)
Cooking spray


D I R E C T I O N S :

Preheat oven to 425°.

Combine first 5 ingredients in a medium bowl, stirring with a whisk. Place milk in a shallow bowl. Dip zucchini slices in milk, and dredge in breadcrumb mixture. Place coated slices on an ovenproof wire rack coated with cooking spray; place rack on a baking sheet. Bake at 425° for 30 minutes or until browned and crisp. Serve immediately.

No comments: