Saturday, November 14, 2009

roasted butternut squash puree


This is a healthy and tasty side perfect for a fall meal. I use one butternut squash and don't even measure out the other ingredients.

roasted butternut squash puree
from real simple magazine
Serves 6-8
Hands-On Time: 20m
Total Time: 1hr 30m

I N G R E D I E N T S :

3 butternut squash (2 pounds each) (I just use one butternut squash for a dinner for 3)
1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
6 small shallots, halved (I've used these but this time all I had was a sweet onion and it was just as good)
4 tablespoons honey
6 sprigs fresh thyme
6 tablespoons unsalted butter (I used olive oil)

D I R E C T I O N S :

Heat oven to 400° F.
Trim the ends from the squash, then halve lengthwise, discarding the seeds.
Transfer the squash, cut-side up, to a rimmed baking sheet lined with parchment or foil.
Season with the salt and pepper and top with the shallots (or onion), honey, thyme, and butter (or olive oil).
Cover the squash with foil. Roast until softened, 45 to 60 minutes (I've actually found about 1 hr 10 minutes to be good for me with my oven, so cook for longer if it's not completely tender).
Uncover and set aside until cool enough to handle. Working in batches, scoop some of the softened squash and shallots from the peels into a food processor (I removed the sprigs of thyme before pureeing).
Puree the squash mixture until smooth. Transfer to a serving bowl. Repeat with the remaining squash and shallots. Serve warm.

No comments: