Saturday, February 06, 2010

Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies


We had dinner at a neighbors' house the other night, and I was assigned the dessert. I decided to make cookies, but realized that I was out of  all-purpose flour, and the closest thing I had to it was bread flour. Unsure of what the difference was, I googled it and found out that apparently it has a higher gluten content than all-purpose flour, which makes for a chewier cookie. The site had a recipe from Alton Brown for cookies made with bread flour, so I decided to try them. They were very good-thick, soft, and chewy. I'm not sure how they would turn out with regular flour, but I suspect they would be just fine and maybe just a tad less chewy. Below is the recipe, and here is a link to the web page where I found the recipe.


CHEWY CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES

I N G R E D I E N T S :

2 sticks unsalted butter
2 1/4 cups bread flour
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 cup sugar
1 1/4 cups brown sugar
1 egg
1 egg yolk
2 tablespoons milk
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 cups semisweet chocolate chips

D I R E C T I O N S :

Heat oven to 375 degrees F.

Melt the butter in a heavy-bottom medium saucepan over low heat. Sift together the flour, salt, and baking soda and set aside.

Pour the melted butter into the mixer's work bowl. Add the sugar and brown sugar. Cream the butter and sugars on medium speed. Add the egg, yolk, 2 tablespoons milk and vanilla extract and mix until well combined.

Slowly incorporate the flour mixture until thoroughly combined. Stir in the chocolate chips.

Chill the dough, then scoop (from a #20 disher) onto parchment-lined baking sheets, 6 cookies per sheet. Bake for 14 minutes or until golden brown, checking the cookies after 5 minutes. Rotate the baking sheet for even browning. Cool completely and store in an airtight container.

Yield 2 1/2 dozen

No comments: