Wednesday, February 03, 2010

Taco Soup


I recently had lunch with a friend, and she served this tasty soup. It's very easy; all you do besides brown the beef is dump the other ingredients in.

Taco Soup

I N G R E D I E N T S :

1 lb. ground chuck
1 (16 oz) can black beans
1 (16 oz) can red beans
1 (16 oz) can pinto beans
1 (10 oz) can Rotel tomatoes with green chilies (I use mild)
1 can white shoepeg corn
1 pkg dry Hidden Valley Ranch Dressing Mix (original)*
1 pkg Taco Seasoning mix**
2 (16 oz) cans water

*Here is a substitute for ranch dressing mix if you don't want to buy a packet.
**Here is a substitute for taco seasoning mix.

D I R E C T I O N S :

Cook and drain meat in dutch oven or soup pot. DO NOT DRAIN CANS. Add remainder of ingredients and stir well. Bring soup to a boil and simmer 30-45 minutes. Stir occasionally.

Serve with choice of:
Sour cream (I think this is a must-it really brought the flavors together and gave it a creamy finish)
Grated cheddar cheese (so yummy)
Salsa
Chips-I used Tostitos

1 comment:

Anca said...

I feel a little guilty commenting since I didn't make this soup exactly as you wrote it.

I made the Taco Soup in the crockpot. But lately since all my Mexican-type soups have had sort of the same tomato-chicken stock flavor so I wanted to (as Emeril says)...kick it up a notch. Therefore, I used a bottle of beer. But in doing so....I didn't realize that this beer was a tad more bitter than I would have liked....so I had to remedy this & added a can of creamed corn which is sweet & some cut up corn tortillas (which "melted") into the soup & gave it excellent flavor.

In addition, I added an onion, garlic, and cilantro. Also used Morningstar crumbles instead of the beef as we don't really cook with much beef. I ran out for groceries & when I came back, half the pot was gone. I guess it was a hit with the family.

Thanks for the inspiration & forgive my changes. I feel that if a recipe is really good, it can weather some changes & so far all of yours have been just that good.