Wednesday, October 27, 2010

The best butternut squash soup.


Two sweet friends recently had me over for dinner, and served the most delicious soup! I helped myself to two large bowls, quickly asked for the recipe, and gladly accepted the leftovers. This soup is absolutely delicious, and perfect for a fall day. This soup is also very nutritious, and filling. I just love it!

Butternut Squash soup
Slightly adapted from a recipe by my friend Allison



I N G R E D I E N T S :
1 Tbs unsalted butter
1 yellow onion, thinly sliced
1 medium-sized butternut squash
2 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and diced
2 cups chicken stock
1/4-1/2 cup pureed pumpkin (optional, but a nice addition if you have some on hand)
1/2 cup of half and half
1/4 teaspoon of coriander
A nice, long squirt of honey 
1/4 cup of brown sugar, or less (depending on taste)
Salt, to taste


D I R E C T I O N S :
Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. 
Cut squash in half. Drizzle a little honey and oil, and sprinkle
some salt and pepper over flesh side of squash halves. Wrap in foil, and roast for 1 hour. (Doing this the day before makes day of prep much quicker).
Remove from foil, and peel and chop squash into large chunks.
In a dutch oven or large pot, saute onion in 1 Tbsp. butter until tender and clear. Add chicken stock, peeled and sliced apples,  squash, and pumpkin. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce to low, and let simmer for 10 minutes or until apples are tender.
Puree in batches in a blender or food processor, or you can use an immersion blender.
Stir in half and half, coriander, honey, and brown sugar to taste. If soup is already pretty sweet, omit brown sugar.




No comments: