Friday, November 19, 2010

My favorite chocolate chip cookies

A friend of mine was looking for a chocolate chip cookie recipe today, and it reminded me that I have been needing to post one for these cookies. I love these cookies! My mother-in-law makes them, and they are definitely a family favorite. Many people have their own go-to chocolate chip recipe that they love, and this is mine. So if you are looking for a good chocolate chip cookie, try this recipe! You won't be disappointed.

Sometimes I double this recipe and shape into 4 logs, wrap individually in parchment/wax paper, and freeze for slice and bake cookies until ready to use. Simply slice, then bake as follows. There's nothing like having homemade slice and bake cookies waiting for you in the freezer!

Chocolate Chip Cookies
adapted from a recipe in Better Homes and Gardens

I N G R E D I E N T S :
1/2 cup butter (my MIL uses shortening for a more crispy cookie, but I use butter)
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 egg
1 tsp. vanilla
1 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chip pieces
1/2 cup broken walnuts or pecans

D I R E C T I O N S :
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
In a large mixing bowl, beat the shortening or butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. 
Add the granulated sugar, brown sugar, and baking soda. 
Beat the mixture till combined, scraping sides of bowl occasionally. 
Beat in the eggs and vanilla until combined. 
In a separate bowl, combine flour, salt, and baking soda, and then beat into sugar/butter/egg/vanilla mixture. 
Stir in chocolate pieces and, if desired, nuts.
Drop dough by rounded spoonfulls two inches apart on an ungreased cookie sheet.  
Bake in oven for 8-10 minutes, or until edges are lightly browned.


No comments: