Monday, February 28, 2011

Inside out Ravioli


This is a very simple dish to make. The recipe calls for store-bought sauce, which I don't normally use, but I have to admit that it was a huge time saver. Rather than making one 9x13 dish, I made two small round pans and froze them because I'm having a baby in May and am currently stocking my freezer for meals in preparation. While we haven't actually had this meal yet, the few bites I sampled before freezing the dish tasted good, so I'm looking forward to trying it out in a few weeks!

Inside Out Ravioli
adapted from a recipe in The Christmas Cottage Cookbook

I N G R E D I E N T S :

1 (10-oz) pkg. frozen chopped spinach, cooked acc. to pkg. directions-reserve the water from cooking.
1 lb. ground beef
1 medium onion, chopped
1 (15-oz) jar spaghetti with mushrooms (I used Ragu super chunky mushroom)
1 (8-oz) can tomato sauce
1 (6-z) can tomato paste
1/2 cup soft bread crumbs (all I had was panko so I used that, but any is probably find)
1/4 cup oil
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1 (8-oz) pkg. shell macaroni, cooked


D I R E C T I O N S :

Bring a pot of water to a boil, and cook macaroni shells according to package directions.

Meanwhile, cook spinach according to package directions; drain well, reserving liquid. Set aside.

Brown ground beef with onion. Once finished,  add spaghetti sauce, tomato sauce, tomato paste, and spinach liquid. Simmer 10 minutes.

Combine spinach with bread crumbs, oil and cheese. Mix well and add to cooked macaroni shells.

Pour meat sauce over top of shell mixture, and stir until combined.

Spread in 9x13 baking dish (or two 8x8 or small around pans). 

Bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes.

Serves 6-8.

4 comments:

Anna Pearson said...

I'm going to try this tonight (minus the spinach because I don't want to go to the grocery store). I had planned on Italian tonight, and this looks better than spaghetti!

Medifast Coupons said...

This Inside out Ravioli would be a nice quick throw together dinner for when I am stressed for time. thanks

Anca said...

Looks fantastic! And I would do the same & freeze. Ok, so now I know when the baby is born!

Anonymous said...

Yum! When I cook this it won't stay out of my inside for long. ♫ Looks so delicious. ♫