Tuesday, April 12, 2011

strawberry bread

It's that time of year when strawberries can be found in abundance at great prices. I love, love, love strawberries and that they signal the coming of summer! I must be having some intense pregnancy cravings for strawberries, because yesterday I spent the evening making three different recipes with strawberries as the main ingredient! Being in my final weeks of pregnancy, I was definitely worn out after my cooking frenzy, but at the time it seemed very necessary to make all three strawberry recipes at once, and the end results were worth it. This is one of the recipes I tried, and the other two will come soon.

This bread is delicious! My friend Sara gave me the recipe and I had to try it after hearing how tasty it is. This quick bread is super easy to make, makes enough for two loaves, has a great flavor, and is super moist. Great for a breakfast bread, or just because!

No picture-it's raining and the lighting is bad, and you can probably picture what strawberry bread looks like anyway. But do try this recipe!

Strawberry Bread
Makes 2 loaves and freezes well.

I N G R E D I E N T S :
3 cups flour
2 cups sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
2 cups mashed strawberries ( you can use either fresh, or frozen and thawed)
1 1/4 cups vegetable oil
4 eggs, lightly beaten
1 1/2 cups chopped pecans (optional-I didn't have any)

D I R E C T I O N S :

Preheat oven to 300 degrees F.
Combine the flour, sugar, cinnamon, salt, and baking soda. 
Make a well in the center of the flour mixture.
Add the strawberries, oil, and eggs.
Mix just until moistened.
Fold in the pecans, if using.
Pour into greased and floured loaf pans.
Bake at 300 degrees for 1 hour, or cooked through (it took me a little longer than an hour.)








2 comments:

Cortney said...

oh girl - you may have saved me. i still have a gallon bag of frozen organic strawberries that I picked from last summer that I haven't been able to use up. i think I have found a way!! thanks :-)

Unknown said...

I'm going to make this today. It sounds so good. My husband's Grandma has been sick and I've been wanting to bring something by to her. I think she will love this :)