Saturday, December 31, 2011

Blueberry dream smoothie


We love a good smoothie for breakfast. They are nutritious, filling, and such a fruity treat. I've been avoiding cow's milk lately, so this morning I tried a smoothie with some coconut milk, and I could not believe the difference! I was a little hesitant because I don't enjoy coconut milk on its own, but I needed to use it up. After taking one sip of this delicious smoothie, I am fully convinced that replacing cow's milk with coconut milk in a smoothie is the way to go. Coconut milk is nutritious, a great source of calcium, and the texture and flavor (though it really does not have a flavor on its own) really took our morning smoothie to the next level. For those of you trying to start eating healthier this upcoming year, I highly recommend this yummy breakfast treat. It was such a hit in our house, I had to post the recipe right away.

Blueberry dream smoothie
yield: 3-4 servings

I N G R E D I E N T S :
1 1/2 cups frozen blueberries
1 cup vanilla yogurt (or you could use plain yogurt and sweeten with honey)
1 1/2 bananas (I was using the other half banana to feed my baby for breakfast, but you could use 1 or 2)
1 cup unsweetened coconut milk ( I used Coconut dream original brand in a carton)
You could also add some fresh spinach for extra nutrition-we do this often

D I R E C T I O N S :
Place blueberries, bananas, and yogurt in blender and blend on high speed. Add coconut milk in gradually.



No comments: