Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Broccoli cheese soup ::re-post::


I'm updating some of my pictures and recipes that I tried at the beginning of this blog. This is one of them. I love broccoli cheese soup and it's always nice to have for a simple, warm meal in the middle of winter.  I love that this soup is a comfort food but not too thick or creamy. It tastes much lighter than most that you would have at a restaurant (probably because it is slightly healthier in that it doesn't have heavy cream or processed american cheese food in it), but it is still very satisfying. It is super easy to make and comes together in under 30 minutes.


Broccoli cheese soup

Adapted from recipes I referrenced at For the Love of Cooking and in my Better Homes and Gardens cookbook.

I N G R E D I E N T S :

1/2 of one finely chopped onion (I always prefer sweet white onions)
3 Tbsp. butter
1/4 cup flour
2 cups milk
4 cups chicken broth (I used store bought organic broth but also added one bouillon cube for extra flavor)
2 cups cheddar cheese, grated
3-4 slices american cheese (I used white american from the deli)
2 medium sized bags of frozen broccoli florets
1 tsp. salt (I used kosher)
fresh pepper

D I R E C T I O N S :

Cook broccoli in a small amount of water (between 1/2-1 cup) until tender. Once the broccoli is cooked, puree half of it. Set the remaining broccoli to the side.

Melt butter in a large dutch oven over medium heat. Add the onions and saute until tender. Add flour, stir and cook for a few minutes. Slowly add the milk while stirring-the ingredients will thicken as you do this to create a roux. Let thicken up as you occasionally stir for a few minutes on medium-low heat.

Add chicken broth and salt, then all of the broccoli.

Add cheese and stir until well blended, letting simmer on low for a few minutes.

Add pepper to taste.


No comments: