Friday, February 10, 2012

Strawberry Shortcake Trifle- and just in time for Valentine's Day!


I've been wanting to make a strawberry shortcake trifle for years-and yesterday, I did just that. I saw some strawberries on sale and thought it would be a fun treat for my family, and a great recipe to post just before Valentine's Day for anyone looking for a fun dessert to celebrate the occasion.
My friend Amber recently posted a recipe for strawberry shortcake, which got me craving what has always been one of my very favorite desserts. So yesterday when I was about to make it, I remembered my vision of a strawberry shortcake trifle, and decided it would be the perfect occasion to try it.
And...we loved it! The shortcake recipe was delicious, and extremely quick and easy to make. And making a trifle out of it was super simple and gave a lovely presentation. If I had only remembered to save a couple of nice, plump strawberries to top it with or had a mint sprig for garnish, it would have been just perfect. But, the flavor was wonderful, nonetheless. It's a fun treat just in time for Valentine's Day that I hope you'll get a chance to try sometime soon. I normally make a strawberry pie every Valentine's day-I have tried to since the first Valentine's day after my husband and I were married, and it's a fun little tradition I have-so I hope to be making that again in the next few days...but this is definitely a winner, too, and I'll certainly be making it many times in the future. 

Thanks again for all of your comments, and enjoy this recipe!

FOR THE SHORTCAKE:
Recipe from This Mommy Cooks
originally from Bless Your Heart

I N G R E D I E N T S :
1/4 cup butter 
1/2 cup sugar
1 cup self-rising flour  (I don't have self rising, so just add 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder + 1/2 tsp salt to 1 cup all-purpose flour)
1/2 cup milk
1 large egg, slightly beaten

D I R E C T I O N S :
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Place the butter in an 8-inch iron skillet and put the pan in the oven to melt the butter. In a medium bowl mix the sugar, flour, milk, and egg. Stir to combine well. Pour the melted butter over the batter and mix well. Pour the batter into the skillet. Bake for 20-25 minutes. Turn the cake out onto a plate.

FOR THE STRAWBERRIES:
Toss 2 quarts strawberries, rinsed, hulled, and sliced, with 1/4 cup sugar. Let sit for a while (I made them an hour or so ahead of time), so they have time to break down and sweeten.

FOR THE WHIPPED CREAM:
In a stand mixer using the whisk attachment on medium speed, mix 1 pint of heavy whipping cream with 3 Tbsp. sugar and 1/2 tsp. pure vanilla extract. Whip until it reaches a nice, thick consistency. If you are short on time you can always use store-bought whipping cream, but I always love making my own when I can because of the mild flavor and lack of extra chemicals in the ingredients. 

ASSEMBLING THE TRIFLE:
Cut the shortcake into squares, and place half of them on the bottom of the trifle bowl. Then add half of the strawberries, followed by half of the whipping cream. Repeat cake, strawberries, and cream. Garnish with strawberries or a mint sprig.

Enjoy!


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Just finished making it. It looks yummy and very fancy. Will let you know how it tastes when I serve it. But directions were right on the mark. And cream is delicious.