Monday, March 04, 2013

Homemade Spaghettio's


I am always looking for new lunch ideas, because the everyday ham or turkey sandwich we enjoy at home for lunch can sometimes get old. I recently saw this post for homemade Spaghettio's and thought it looked fun to try. I try to not buy canned pasta because of the processed ingredients, but I have to admit that I have been tempted at least a time or two, just because it's something different, as well as easy. This recipe, however, is extremely easy to make. I doubled it so that I could freeze it in smaller portions to pull out before lunchtime. I could not find ditalini pasta at my grocery store, so I used elbow macaroni-it tastes the same! It really did not take much time at all to make, and it was delicious. I enjoyed it just as much as my daughters did!

Homemade Spaghettio's
Yield: 4-6 adult servings, 6-8 child servings

I N G R E D I E N T  S :

8 oz ditalini pasta (or other small pasta-I used elbow macaroni)
2 Tbsp. olive oil
2 cloves garlic, pressed
Pinch of crushed red pepper flakes (I left this out)
15 oz can tomato sauce
1 cup water
1 Tbsp. tomato paste
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp granulated sugar
4 Tbsp unsalted butter, cut into pieces (I only used half of this)
1/4 cup milk
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese

D I R E C T I O  N S: 

Cook the pasta in a large pot of salted boiling water, to al dente (about 10 minutes).

Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a Dutch oven or large saute pan over medium heat. Add the garlic and red pepper flakes and cook until just fragrant, about 30 seconds. Stir in the tomato sauce, water, tomato paste, salt, pepper, sugar, and butter. Heat while stirring, until the butter is melted. Slowly stir in the milk, then turn the heat to low. Simmer at low heat for 10 minutes.

Stir the shredded cheese into the soup until melted. Drain the pasta and transfer to a serving bowl. Pour as much of the tomato sauce into the pasta as desired; stir to combine (there may be some left over if you do not like it too soupy; usually about 1/3 cup is left over).

No comments: