Monday, March 11, 2013

Quinoa pilaf


We really like quinoa and have started eating it about once a week. It's such a good source of protein and while it can be pricey when sold in small batches at the grocery store, Costco sells a very affordable large bag of it. This is a recipe I made a long time ago and never posted, but I made it again a few days ago. It's easy to prepare and a good side dish. We had it with grilled salmon (also a good deal at Costco!), baked sweet potatoes, and wilted spinach (which, might I add, is so easy to make and much better than frozen spinach! It just takes quite a bit of spinach to get enough for a few servings).  It was a great addition to our meal and a great alternative to rice!

Quinoa Pilaf
Adapted from Domestic Kate
My changes in italics

I N G R E D I E N T S :

1 cup quinoa, rinsed
1 tbsp olive oil
1/2 medium onion, diced

10 baby carrots, sliced thinly (I used one large carrot)
1 stalk celery, diced ( did not have any, so left it out)
1-2 cloves garlic, minced
2 cups broth (chicken, vegetable-I used chicken)

Salt and pepper, to taste

D I R E C T I O N S : 
Rinse the quinoa once in a mesh strainer. Set aside.
In a medium saucepan, heat the olive oil.
Add garlic, onion, carrots, and celery, and saute for about 5 minutes. 
Add quinoa and give it a few stirs before adding the broth. Add broth and bring to a boil. Cover and reduce heat to simmering for about 15 minutes. 
Serve hot. 

No comments: