Tuesday, February 03, 2009

blue corn chip casserole and sauteed corn

Photobucket
Tonight I tried this new recipe, and it was pretty tasty and very, very easy to make! I'm not a big casserole person, but this one sounded good, honestly, just because I love those blue corn chips by Garden of Eatin, and I thought they would be good in a mexican casserole dish. I altered the original recipe somewhat, so I'll just put the adapted version on here. My husband really liked this dish a lot, so I'm sure I'll be making it again. It's not the most nutritional meal I've made, but that's okay. A casserole can't hurt every now and then, can it?
I made this with spanish rice, spinach (had to have something green...), and sauteed corn, which I have also included the recipe for.

BLUE CORN CHIP CASSEROLE
Adapted from The Christmas Cottage Cookbook

I N G R E D I E N T S :

1/3 cup onion
1 lb. chicken (original recipe says to use chicken or ground beef)
1 tsp. oil
1/2 tsp. garlic salt (or more, to taste)
1/2 tsp. cumin (or more, to taste)
1/2 tsp. chili powder (or more, to taste)
2 (8-oz) cans tomato sauce *
1 cup ricotta cheese (original calls for cottage cheese, but i always prefer ricotta in dishes)
1 cup sour cream
1 (4-oz) can chopped green chilies
1 cup black olives (I did not use these)
1 (8-oz) bag blue corn chips (I like Garden of Eatin much better than other brands)
1 lb. Monterey Jack Cheese, shredded

D I R E C T I O N S :

If using chicken, boil or poach, and then chop up. Place in skillet along with a small amount of oil and the onions. Sprinkle the chicken and onions with garlic, cumin, and chili powders, and brown until onions are soft and clear (if using beef, you would simply brown the beef with the onions instead of cooking it beforehand).
Add tomato sauce and simmer for about 15 minutes.
Combine ricotta cheese, sour cream, chilies, and olives (if using) in a small bowl; mix well. Crush chips and place a layer in the bottom of a 3-quart casserole dish. Top with a layer or meat mixture, then a layer of cheese mixture, and then a layer of shredded cheese. Repeat layers and end with the chips (oops...I did not see that last part, so I didn't have any chips left and just ended with the shredded cheese).
Bake in 350 degrees oven covered for 35-40 minutes and then uncover and bake for remaining 10-15 minutes.

*I did not think I had enough sauce and chicken to really spread over the whole pan twice. I would add a third can of tomato sauce and even some extra chicken next time ( I think I had a pound, but I may have had just under).


Photobucket
Sauteed Mexican Corn
This is just a little side dish I threw together, because I can't ever come up with good vegetable sides for mexican food. I found a similar recipe on allrecipes.com and tweaked it. I don't have precise measurements, but it's very easy to make.

I N G R E D I E N T S :

oil
frozen corn
about 1/3 cup onion
chili powder
garlic powder
cumin powder
salt
pepper

D I R E C T I O N S :

In a cast-iron skillet, saute onion in oil until onion is soft and clear. Add frozen corn and stir so that it is coated with a little of the oil. Sprinkle chili, garlic, and cumin powders, along with salt and pepper, to taste. Saute on medium-high heat for about 10 minutes, or until corn is heated and starting to brown just a little bit on some of the edges.

No comments: