Wednesday, February 18, 2009

chicken marsala


Monday night I made this dish for dinner. I have never liked chicken marsala at restaurants because it's usually very rich and has a pretty intense flavor. What I like about this recipe is that the flavor is pretty mild, and it really isn't bad for you. It calls for some oil, but you could actually get away with using less if you cook with a nonstick skillet. I actually found this recipe one day a few years ago when I was at a Publix and they were giving out samples. Publix is great about having really good, easy dishes that people prepare at little booths and give out, along with the recipes. I really liked the flavor so I took a copy with me and have made it a few times. Another good thing about this meal-you can make it in 30 minutes. I like to serve it with wild rice, and this time, I also made brown sugar glazed carrots and steamed green beans to go along with it. The recipes for those are also below.

Chicken Marsala
From Publix Apron Recipes

I N G R E D I E N T S :

1/4 cup flour
1/4 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. black pepper
1/2 tsp. oregano
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
4 Tbsp. olive oil
1/2 cup marsala wine (I know, I know, cooking wine isn't as good as the real thing, but I use it to save money and it's just fine)
1 cup sliced mushrooms (I use two cups because we like a lot of mushrooms)
1/4 cup cooking sherry
1/2 lemon

D I R E C T I O N S :

Mix together flour, salt, pepper, and oregano.

Coat chicken well with this mixture.

Over medium heat, warm olive oil and brown chicken on both sides.

Add marsala wine to the skillet.

Mix in mushrooms, cooking sherry, and juice from lemon.

Cover chicken with sauce and simmer covered for 8-10 minutes.

Turn chicken over and simmer for another 8-10 minutes.

No comments: