Wednesday, February 18, 2009

easy green beans


I'm always looking for new ways to make vegetable side dishes. I've come across many recipes for green beans, and this is an easy one I just throw together from time to time. This is a nice side to most any dish, because the beans are cooked but not overdone, and it's very easy to make. I don't even have measurements...I just sort of toss this all together.

I N G R E D I E N T S :

Fresh green beans (not canned or frozen)
Olive oil
Garlic powder (you could use fresh minced garlic if you want it to have more of a garlic flavor)
Lemon Juice-from just one lemon wedge
Coarse Salt (I've been using Kosher salt lately because it has a milder flavor)
Freshly Ground Pepper

You could also skip the garlic and throw in some diced or slivered almonds, or walnuts...just toast them in the oven for a few minutes on 350 beforehand to bring out the flavor and then add them once the beans are done steaming. They add a nice texture and extra flavor. I do this sometimes if I have them on hand.

D I R E C T I O N S :

Rinse green beans and cut the ends off.

Steam for 10 minutes, then move them to a serving bowl.

Pour a small amount of olive oil over them, then squeeze a little lemon juice, and throw in a dash of salt, pepper and garlic (or almonds or walnuts, if you choose). Toss together and serve.

Easy enough!

No comments: