Friday, February 06, 2009

delicious chicken fajitas


This is by far one of my very favorite meals to make. I found this recipe from the Maker's Diet book-it's the only recipe I've made from it, but it is delicious, and I seriously do not think it can be beat as far as other fajita recipes go. The marinade is great with lots of flavor, and the meal is really nutritious! Great with corn and spanish rice. And it makes great leftovers, too.

Adapted from The Makers Diet

I N G R E D I E N T S :

2 lb. chicken breast cut into strips about ¼- ½“ thick
6 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
½ cup lemon or lime juice
¼ cup pineapple juice (optional, but I always use this)
4 garlic cloves, peeled and mashed
½ tsp. chili powder
1 tsp. dried oregano
½ tsp. dried thyme
1 red pepper and 1 green pepper, seeded and cut into strips *
2 medium onions, thinly sliced
Extra virgin olive oil
Melted butter
Whole wheat tortillas
Garnishes such as sour cream, cheese, tomatoes, etc.

D I R E C T I O N S :

Make a mixture of oil, lemon or lime juice, pineapple juice, garlic, and spices; mix well with the meat. Marinate chicken for several hours.

Remove chicken from marinade with a slotted spoon so that the marinade drips back into the bowl so it can be used for the vegetables.

Slice the red and green pepper and onions, and pour into a bowl with the leftover marinade. Stir marinade over the vegetables to coat.

Using a heavy skillet (I always use a cast iron skillet for these and think everything turns out great), sauté the meat, a batch at a time, in olive oil.

Once the chicken is finished cooking, transfer to a platter and keep warm in the oven, or cover with foil.

Meanwhile, saute the onions and peppers in the skillet until desired tenderness. If using mushrooms, add them in after the onions and peppers are beginning to soften, because they don't take as long to cook. I usually sprinkle some extra salt, pepper, cumin and chili powder over the vegetables for extra flavor while they are cooking.

Heat tortillas briefly in a heavy cast-iron skillet and brush with melted butter (I usually skip this step and just microwave them for a few seconds).

Serve meat mixture with tortillas and garnishes.

*I also have add one package of sliced mushrooms to the vegetables.
**The fajitas are good with cheddar cheese, but I especially love using Monterey Jack.

No comments: