Saturday, February 14, 2009

lasagna


I like to make a big batch of meat sauce and freeze it in small amounts. That way, when I want to make lasagna or spaghetti, I can simply take the already made meat sauce out of the freezer, add a couple things to it, and then make the rest of the dish. This is much easier than making the sauce every time. My husband's granny gave me the recipe for her meat sauce, so I've been doing this since we got married.

This meat sauce has been a staple for us. It's tasty, easy to make, great to store in batches, and doesn't have any expensive ingredients. I know everyone has their own meat sauce, but if you don't, you are welcome to try this one!

This was a great meal with some corn, fall harvest salad, and also the french bread I made.

LASAGNA

I N G R E D I E N T S :

2 cups meat sauce*
1 8-oz can of tomato sauce from store
1 quart of (32 Oz.) tomatoes (I love to use granny's canned tomatoes, but store bought works really well, too)
1 Small tub ricotta or cottage cheese (I use ricotta)
1 bag of mozzarella cheese
1 package of lasagna noodles
Dried Parsley

D I R E C T I O N S :

Combine 2 cups prepared meat sauce, canned tomatoes, and store bought tomato sauce.

Cook over medium heat for around 20 minutes.

Meanwhile, cook one package of lasagna noodles, and drain. They will be hot, so you may need to let them cool for a couple of minutes.

For the lasagna, you can either use 1 9x13 pan or 2 8x8 pans. I like to use the 8x8 pans and freeze one when I make lasagna just for just the two of us.

Begin layering by spreading small amount of sauce for bottom layer

Add layer of noodles, then dot with either cottage cheese or ricotta

Add thin later Mozzarella cheese

Repeat sauce, noodles, ricotta, mozzarella

End with last noodles, ricotta, sauce, then cover lasagna with Mozzarella. Finish by sprinkling some dried parsley for garnish.

Cook on 350 30–40 minutes

*MEAT SAUCE:

I N G R E D I E N T S :

2 ½ lbs ground round or beef
2 large green bell peppers, chopped (Use less if you don't like much bell pepper in your sauce)
2 medium or 1 large onion, chopped
1 Qt. (32 oz.) tomatoes
12 Oz. tomato paste
3 or so shakes Worcestershire sauce
4 bay leaves
Sugar to taste
Some salt and pepper
Fresh herbs, like basil, marjoram, parsley, and/or oregano

D I R E C T I O N S :

Sauté onion and bell peppers in small amount of oil and set aside.

Cook meat on medium heat until it begins to brown, and then stir constantly-should be in small crumbs.

When the meat is finished, add back the peppers and onions.

Add tomatoes and tomato paste

Add Worcestershire, bay leaves, sugar, salt, pepper, and herbs to taste.

Turn heat on low and simmer for 2 hours.

Freeze in 1-2 cup amounts.

No comments: