Monday, February 23, 2009

parmesan toast


I found this recipe in a book I've had for some time, and I just took the basic idea and adapted it to my own recipe. I only made a couple of slices, so I had to cut down on the ingredients.

Parmesan Toast
Adapted from Martha Stewart's What to Have for Dinner

I N G R E D I E N T S :

1 thin, crusty baguette (I used a couple pieces of french bread I had made and kept in the freezer)
1 Tbsp. butter (the recipe calls for 2 but says it's optional)
Garlic powder (the recipe calls for a clove of garlic)
Freshly grated parmesan (the recipe calls for 1 cup coarsely grated)

D I R E C T I O N S :

Heat oven to 400 degrees.

Cut baguette at a sharp angle into 1 1/2 inch slices

Spread both sides with butter, if desired, and place on a baking sheet.

Toast in oven until golden brown, 3-4 minutes on each side.

The recipe says to: Rub garlic clove on one side of each toast and top with a sprinkling of cheese. Return to oven and toast until cheese is crisp and golden brown, 8-10 minutes. Turn down heat to 350 degrees it toast begins to brown too fast. Serve at room temperature.

Here's what I did: Remove from oven once bread is brown, and sprinkle with a teeny amount of garlic powder.

Grate parmesan cheese over bread, and serve.

If I had been making more than two slices, I would have followed the recipe, but I took the short cut since it was just for the two of us, and it was still really good.

No comments: