Monday, February 23, 2009

steamed spinach


The picture doesn't do this justice, but this is a good way to prepare steamed spinach.

Steamed Spinach
Adapted from Martha Stewart's What to Have for Dinner

I N G R E D I E N T S :
1 pound spinach, about 2 bunches (I just used a bag of the frozen stuff)
Juice of 1/2 lemon (I just used a small wedge)
Salt and freshly ground pepper (for the salt, I used coarsly ground kosher salt)
1 tsp. unsalted butter (optional. I did not use)
I added some freshly grated parmesan cheese

D I R E C T I O N S :
Wash spinach in several changes of cold water until free of sand. Remove stems.
(-OR-Just use the frozen stuff :))

Place a metal steamer in a medium saucepan filled with 1 inch of water. Bring to a boil. Add spinach, cover, and steam for about 3 minutes, or until just wilted. Remove from steamer and season with the lemon juice, salt, and pepper. Toss with butter if desired (I added the parmesan cheese at this point, and tossed).

No comments: