Tuesday, March 03, 2009

broccoli cheese soup


This soup did not disappoint! I found the original recipe from For the Love of Cooking, but I also referenced my Better Homes and Garden cookbook. Here is my adapted version:

I N G R E D I E N T S :

1/3 cup finely chopped onion
3 Tbsp. butter
1/4 cup flour
3 cups 1% milk (because that was what I had...whatever kind you have will work just fine)
4 cups chicken stock (haven't made my homemade stock yet, so I cheated and used bullion cubes!)
2 cups cheddar cheese, grated
2 slices american cheese
4 cups broccoli (I used a bag of frozen broccoli)
1 tsp. salt (I used kosher)
fresh pepper
optional 1/2-1 cup water if you want it a little more watered down

D I R E C T I O N S :

Cook broccoli in a small amount of water (between 1/2-1 cup) until tender. Once the broccoli is cooked, puree half of it with 1/2 cup chicken stock. Set the remaining broccoli to the side.

Melt butter in a large dutch oven over medium heat. Add the onions and saute until tender. Add flour, stir and cook for a few minutes. Slowly add the milk while stirring-the ingredients will thicken as you do this to create a roux.

Add remaining chicken stock and salt.

Add pureed broccoli and the rest of the broccoli, along with the remaining chicken stock.

Add cheese and stir until well blended.

Add pepper to taste.

Let simmer for a few minutes.

No comments: