Sunday, August 02, 2009

strawberry meringue pie



I had try this recipe after it caught my eye in the May edition of Better Homes and Gardens Magazine. Light and refreshing, this is a delicious summer treat for a picnic or after dinner dessert. Lemon curd gives the strawberries a sweet and tangy twist, and meringue is always a fun treat for a pie. This recipe did take a little while to prepare, mostly because of the layer of meringue, but it wasn't difficult or overly time-consuming. My only critique of this is that I felt like the filling needed a little bit more sugar to balance the lemon curd. Lemon curd is very sweet on its own, but over the strawberries, I found it just a little tart for my own taste (though you might not if you like a good lemon flavor). I added an extra teaspoon of sugar to the strawberry/lemon curd mixture, and felt that it helped to round out the flavor. I also served the pieces with homemade whipped cream (in addition to the meringue filling), because we just love the flavor of it with strawberries.

My only mistake: I misread the recipe and cooked the meringue on 350, rather than 300, for the first few minutes, and noticed it browning rather quickly. Thankfully I was able to adjust the temperature and tent the pie in foil while it finished cooking, and it turned out fine. It's a good thing that I checked the pie early into the cooking; otherwise I would have ruined the meringue.

This pie has a different flavor than the one I usually make, but it was a good alternative. Some of my husband's family was in town, and everyone agreed they liked the flavor and even asked for the recipe, so I figured it is worthy of sharing with you all :). I would make it again!

strawberry meringue pie
from Better Homes and Gardens
online recipe here

I N G R E D I E N T S :

1 rolled refrigerated unbaked piecrust (1/2 of a 15-oz. pkg.)
3 egg whites
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1/4 tsp. cream of tartar
1/2 cup sugar
7 Tbsp. lemon curd
5 cups fresh strawberries (halve large berries)
optional 1 tsp. sugar if you find the filling a little tart
Snipped fresh mint

D I R E C T I O N S :

Let unbaked crust stand at room temperature according to package directions. Heat oven to 450 degrees F. Unroll and line 9-inch pie plate with crust; flute edge, if desired. Prick bottom and sides of crust with fork. Bake 10 to 12 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from oven; cool on rack. Reduce oven temperature to 300 degrees F.

Meanwhile, for meringue layer, in large mixing bowl let egg whites stand at room temperature 30 minutes. Add vanilla and cream of tartar. Beat on medium until soft peaks form. Gradually add sugar. Beat on high until stiff peaks form and sugar is almost dissolved. Spread in baked piecrust, building up meringue along edges. Bake 35 minutes. Cool on rack. Meringue will fall slightly.

In large bowl microcook lemon curd on 50 percent power (medium) 15 to 20 seconds. Spread 4 tablespoons warm curd on meringue. Add berries to remaining lemon curd; lightly stir to coat. Spoon into pie shell. Refrigerate 30 to 60 minutes. To serve, top with fresh mint. Cut with serrated knife. Makes 8 servings.

nutrition facts
Calories 262, Total Fat (g) 8, Saturated Fat (g) 3, Monounsaturated Fat (g) 0, Polyunsaturated Fat (g) 0, Cholesterol (mg) 16, Sodium (mg) 143, Carbohydrate (g) 46, Total Sugar (g) 29, Fiber (g) 4, Protein (g) 2, Vitamin C (DV%) 89, Calcium (DV%) 2, Iron (DV%) 3, Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet

No comments: