Tuesday, October 27, 2009

autumn apple pie


Nothing says fall more than a good apple pie. The picture just doesn't do it justice!

Apple Pie

I N G R E D I E N T S :

For the crust, if you choose to make it (in the past I have, but last night I cheated and used store-bought):
1/2 cup butter or margarine
4 oz. cream cheese
2 cups all-purpose flour

For the filling:
4 cups peeled and thinly sliced granny smith apples (if you are making a deep dish pie, increase to 6-8 cups...I used 4 and it wasn't enough, which made the top crust sink in)
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup orange juice
2 Tbsp. honey
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
1/2 cup butter or margarine

D I R E C T I O N S:

Preheat oven to 350.

If making crust: Combine cream cheese and 1/2 cup butter into a large bowl and let come to room temperature. Add two cups flour and blend well. Chill. Roll out half the dough and place in a 9" pie plate. Reserve remaining dough for the top crust.

For the filling: Combine apples, sugar, orange juice, honey, cinnamon, 1 Tbsp. flour and 1/2 cup butter in a sauce pan. Bring to a boil.

Pour mixture into crust. Roll out remaining dough and place over filling. Trim edges and seal. Cut slits in top of crust to allow steam to escape.

Bake at 350 for about 45 minutes.

No comments: