Monday, December 21, 2009

savory chicken noodle soup

I'm pretty picky when it comes to chicken noodle soup, but I really like this one. I made it the other day and liked it so much that I've got more on the stove top right now! It's super easy to make, is healthy, and delicious.

Chicken Noodle Soup
Adapted from a recipe in Better Homes and Gardens

I N G R E D I E N T S :

2 chicken breasts (i use frozen and just stick them straight into the pot)
8 cups chicken broth (I used 4 cups of broth and then 4 cups of water with chicken bullion)
1 medium onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 tsp. salt (you may want to use more salt if you are only using low sodium or homemade stock)
1/4 tsp. black pepper
1 bay leaf
1 cup chopped carrot (2 medium)
1 cup chopped celery (2 stalks)
1 1/2 cups dried egg noodles
2 Tbsp. fresh parsley (optional. I didn't have any)


D I R E C T I O N S :

Saute onion with salt and pepper in a small amount of oil in a dutch oven. When onion is translucent, add garlic and saute for about 30 seconds or until garlic is cooked but not brown.

Add chicken broth (or water and bullion), chicken, and bay leaf, and bring to a rolling boil. Once boiling, reduce heat to low and simmer until chicken is completely cooked through, probably about 20 minutes. I actually like to leave the chicken cooking for a lot longer (an hour or two if I make it early enough), because it just falls apart and becomes more tender. Remove bay leaf.

Once chicken is cooked, cut into small pieces (you may remove it from the pot and do this, or just cut it with some kitchen knives directly in the pot. You may also want to skim the fat from the broth. Add chicken back into the pot if you removed it when cutting.

Bring broth back to a boil. Stir in carrot and celery. Simmer, covered, about 5 minutes, or until carrots and celery are tender.

Stir in noodles. Simmer, covered, about 5 minutes or until noodles are tender but firm. Stir in parsley to garnish.

No comments: