Monday, January 04, 2010

PW's chicken fingers

My friend Amber raves about these and makes them for her family often, so I knew I needed to give them a try. Plus, the Pioneer Woman is awesome, so I knew they would be good. I've never actually made chicken fingers before, and rarely ever fry, but these were quick and simple! They tasted delicious, and my husband and child really liked them. This will be my go-to chicken fingers recipe from here on out!

The only changes of mine:
I didn't rinse the chicken, just because I keep hearing that you really don't need to, and I didn't want raw chicken water to clean up.

FYI: It took me longer to cook the tenders than the recipe says. Maybe mine were thicker than normal or I have a less powerful stove eye, and maybe I tend to cook my chicken really well in order to make sure it is done...but it took me a few more minutes, and I had to turn the stove top up a little higher than medium heat-I think I did about a "6" on my dial, so it was between medium and medium-high. This could have been because I didn't let the oil heat up enough beforehand-I'm not sure.

No picture, but the Pioneer Woman is a much better photographer than I am anyway ;). Click here for the direct link to her recipe and pictures. Below is the recipe as well.


I N G R E D I E N T S :

1 package Chicken Breasts, Cut Into Strips (sometimes Called "tenders" Or "strips")
Buttermilk*
1-½ cup Flour
2 teaspoons (to 3 Teaspoons) Lawry's Seasoning Salt (or Spices Of Your Choosing)
Vegetable Oil

*If you do not have any buttermilk, simply mix 1 Tbsp. distilled white vinegar into 1 cup of lowfat milk, and stir. I tried this after seeing in her cookbook that PW does the same thing. This works much better for me than buying a whole container of buttermilk and wasting half of it!

D I R E C T I O N S :

Start by rinsing and drying your chicken strips. Next, in a bowl submerge the chicken strips in buttermilk for 15 to 20 minutes (or longer if you’d like).
In another bowl combine about 1 ½ cups flour and 2 to 3 teaspoons of Lawry’s Seasoning Salt (or other seasonings if you prefer). Mix this together well. Next, add about ¼ to ½ cup of buttermilk into the flour mixture and stir lightly with a fork as you add it.
Heat about 1 inch of vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium-low to medium heat.
Remove a few of the buttermilk-soaked strips and place them in the flour mixture, turning them over to coat them thoroughly. Place them on a plate. Continue coating chicken strips until they are all ready to cook.
When the oil is sufficiently heated, begin cooking the strips a few at a time. Cook them for about a minute and a half or so on each side. When golden and crispy, remove them to a paper towel-lined plate.
Serve with your favorite dipping sauce. Yum!

No comments: