Saturday, April 24, 2010

honey berries


Who doesn't love strawberries coated in sugar, either by themselves, to top cake, or on a bowl of cereal? One of the first health goals I'm working toward is to cut out all (or as much as possible) refined sugar in  our home. To begin this, I've been experimenting with replacing sugar with honey. So far, I've been pleased to see that it makes a wonderful substitute a lot of the time! I've been using it in my morning coffee, in sauces where sugar is usually added, and now to mix in with strawberries. Of course, strawberries are delicious on their own, but when a little extra sweetness is desired, this is a much healthier alternative than refined sugar. I made this for an after dinner dessert tonight, and my husband remarked, "That's the quickest I've ever eaten a bowl of strawberries." Enough said.

I N G R E D I E N T S :

strawberries, rinsed, hulled, and diced
honey (local honey is great and raw is even better!)


D I R E C T I O N S :

Prepare strawberries by rinsing, hulling, and dicing. Drizzle honey over them, and stir. Let sit for several minutes for flavors to combine. Great on their own, and I'm sure wonderful to top off any cake.

No comments: