Thursday, May 20, 2010

healthy tasty smashed new potatoes


These are inexpensive, oh so easy, and oh so yummy! I made them up as I cooked them a few weeks ago, and my husband and dinner guests were very complimentary of them (which is kind of funny because I was honestly a bit worried they would not be that good!). There are no exact measurements, which makes it even easier.

smashed new potatoes

I N G R E D I E N T S :

new potatoes, with skin on (dice if in a hurry, or leave whole and boil for longer)
butter (not too much...just 1 Tbsp. or so), diced into small pieces
kosher or sea salt
freshly ground pepper
dash of garlic powder
chives (fresh is best but dried is just fine, too!)

D I R E C T I O N S:

Bring a medium-large saucepan of water to a boil. I add some salt to the water for extra flavor for the potatoes. If you are in a hurry, dice the new potatoes. If not, you can boil them whole (I just cut a little "x" shaped slit in the skin...but I don't think that is even necessary!), and it will just take longer. For diced new potatoes, boil for 10-20 minutes, and for whole new potatoes, it will probably take double that. Just check for tenderness periodically and continue boiling them until they are fork tender.

Once new potatoes are fork tender, remove the saucepan from heat and drain the water. add diced up butter throughout the potatoes. You don't want to use a whole lot of butter, because we are trying to keep these healthy, but about 1 Tbsp. should give enough flavor. If not, use a little more...just not too much :).

Toss potatoes together, gently smashing them a bit with a fork as you go. The point is not to make them smooth, but just very coarsley smashed. These are good, lumpy potatoes with the skin on!

Sprinkle salt, pepper, and a dash of garlic pepper over the potatoes. Toss potatoes to incorporate seasoning. Add some chopped chives, and toss a little bit more.

See, so easy. Great with fish, chicken, or just a veggie night.

No comments: