Tuesday, June 22, 2010

My favorite new pizza crust

Okay, okay, I know what you're thinking: Another post on pizza?? Look, I know I'm addicted to making homemade pizza, and I know I've raved about two different recipes. But THIS, my friend, is my newfound favorite! In fact, I just removed one of those recipes from my blog because I wasn't happy with it after all. But this one...yummm. My dear friend Kelly gave me this incredible bread recipe, and it can also be used to make pizza dough. The results are wonderful and healthy, which is a great combination for pizza! I love using Kelly's freshly milled grain, but when I don't have any, I use King Arthur's Whole Wheat White Flour. This recipe can make either 2 thick crust pizzas, or 3 regular, thinner crust pizzas. Both are wonderful. As usual, my favorite toppings are homemade marinara sauce along with mozzarella cheese, bell peppers, turkey pepperoni (unless I'm trying to be really healthy, then I omit it), and pineapple. But really any combination will do. This is just a great recipe.


Whole Wheat Pizza Dough
Courtesy of Kelly


I N G R E D I E N T S :

6 c flour 
(If you mill your own flour, a good combination is to use even amounts of hard red wheat, hard white wheat, and soft white wheat...otherwise, King Arthur White Whole Wheat is a good store bought option).
2 1/4 c water (temp 110-115 degrees)
1/3 c oil
1/3 c honey
1 T yeast
2 tsp salt

D I R E C T I O N S :

If you have a good mixer and won't knead it by hand, combine the water, oil, honey, and salt into the mixer. Mix until well blended.

Next, add half of the flour. Mix until just blended.

Add the yeast, mix again until just blended.

Add remaining flour and mix until just blended. Let it rest for 10 minutes.

Knead for 6 minutes (I knead it in my mixer with the dough hook, or you can knead by hand).

Once the dough has finished kneading, simply divide it into 2 or 3 dough balls. It makes enough for 2 thick crust pizzas or 3 thinner crust pizzas. You can also freeze the dough balls (I wrap each one in saran wrap and then put them in a freezer ziploc bag) and let one thaw in the fridge the day you want to make it.


To bake the pizza, roll out the dough, add sauce, cheese, and other toppings, and bake for 10-15 minutes at 425 degrees.

This is the marinara sauce I make. I triple the recipe, freeze in individual cup size portions, and defrost when I am going to be making a pizza. I use 1 cup per pizza.

I N G R E D I E N T S :
3 8-ounce cans tomato sauce
3 tsp. oregano
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
3 Tbsp. parmesan cheese

D I R E C T I O N S:
Combine ingredients in a sauce pan on medium-heat, and simmer for a few minutes before adding to the pizza.
















No comments: