Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Sweet Potato Burritos


If you are thinking "I don't know about this one...", don't stop reading. This is a good recipe. 

I have to admit: This dish didn't sound all that appetizing to me when I first heard about it. In fact, my fear was that it would probably taste too... "healthy".  You know what I mean. But, I've seen this recipe pop up a few different times on various blogs and have a good friend who loves it, so last night  I decided to give it a try. Even though the title of this dish didn't entice me, once I started looking through the ingredients, it sounded like it might be good and would surely be really healthy and interesting. The results? We all really liked it! It is surprisingly a great dish. It's super easy, super cheap, super quick, super healthy, and it even supposedly freezes very well. So, I would have to say that I was really impressed by this little recipe and will definitely make it again. It was also very filling; I made 4, thinking we would each eat two (with my child eating a little bit of mine), but we only ate 1 each and kept the other two for leftovers because we were full off of 1 burrito, some spanish rice, and steamed broccoli. This is a great dish to have for a veggie night, which we try to do 2-3 times a week, or even as a mexican type dinner. It's very similar to a bean and cheese burrito, but the sweet potato gives it extra flavor, a great texture, and, of course lots of nutrients.

Sweet potato burritos
Adapted from a recipe found here at All Recipes
I scaled the recipe down on the website to calculate the amounts needed for 4 servings, rather than 12.
The recipe below is for 4 servings.



I N G R E D I E NT S :

1 teaspoon vegetable oil ( I used XVOO)
1/3 onion, chopped
1-1/3 cloves garlic, minced
2 cups canned kidney beans, drained (I used dried kidney 
beans and soaked them overnight before cooking, but you 
can use canned if you like)
2/3 cup water
1 tablespoon chili powder
3/4 teaspoon ground cumin (I added a bit more)
1-1/4 teaspoons prepared mustard
1/3 pinch cayenne pepper, or to taste (I left this out)
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1-1/3 cups cooked and mashed sweet potatoes
4 (10 inch) flour tortillas, warmed
2-1/2 ounces shredded Cheddar cheese

D I R E C T I O N S :

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Heat oil in a medium skillet, and saute onion and garlic 
until soft. Stir in beans, and mash. Gradually stir in water, 
and heat until warm. Remove from heat, and stir in the chili powder, cumin, mustard, cayenne pepper and soy 
sauce. Cook until thickened.Once I mashed the beans 
and onion, I added extra cumin, along with some salt, garlic 
powder, and onion powder for more flavor and really liked it. 

Divide bean mixture and mashed sweet potatoes evenly 
between the warm flour tortillas. Top with cheese. 
Fold up tortillas burrito style, and place on a baking sheet. 
I put cheddar cheese in the tortillas rather than on top. 
It's just a matter of preference.
Bake for 12 minutes in the preheated oven, and serve.

No comments: