Friday, July 23, 2010

Make your own taco seasoning

Do you like Taco Seasoning but sometimes find yourself lacking that little packet right when you need one, or wanting a version that is lower in sodium and possible ingredients like MSG? I found a great substitute online, and have been using it nearly every time I need a package. It makes about 2 Tbsp, and can be substituted for a package of the store bought packages.

Taco Seasoning, found here at allrecipes.com

I N G R E D I E N T S :
1 Tbsp. chili powder
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
1/4 tsp. onion powder
1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes
1/4 tsp. dried oregano
1/2 tsp. paprika
1 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. pepper

D I R E C T I O N S :
Combine ingredients and use in place of a packet from the store. Or, make a larger version of this recipe all at once, and store in a jar. Use 2 Tbsp. to substitute for a packet.



2 comments:

Becca said...

I started doing this when I cut out garlic and onion for Asa. So my version was a tad bland ;), but it was great to find out how easy it is to make it yourself! And now his tummy can handle garlic and onion so we get to make the real deal. :)

Shawn and Jami said...

Loving your blog...all about meal plans!!! It is work but sooooo worth it. I have not done any freezing but that is the next thing on the list after finding a house...a deep freeze. looking forward to seeing you on January:)