Friday, April 01, 2011

Classic Spaghetti Sauce

Every cook has their own version of spaghetti sauce, and after trying some different kinds over the years, I made this one the other day. I looked at some different recipes, including this one from my friend Amber's blog, and then threw my adapted version together. Like Amber, instead of using a packaged spaghetti seasoning packet, I looked up recipe substitutes and then adjusted it in my recipe according to my preference. The great thing about a sauce like this is that you can adjust it according to your taste as you go. We loved the flavor and had enough left over to freeze for a future meal. 

Classic Spaghetti Sauce

I N G R E D I E N T S :

2 Tbsp. oil
1.5 lbs ground beef (I use mostly lean beef-I think it was 94% lean)
1 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
15 ounces tomato sauce
1 28-ounce can diced tomatoes, liquid drained
1/2 cup water
2 Tbsp. cornstarch
1 tsp. dried basil
1 1/4 tsp. oregano
1 tsp. dried parsley
1 tsp. garlic powder
3/4 tsp. onion powder
1/4 tsp. dried thyme
1/4 tsp. dried rosemary
1/8 tsp. dried red pepper flakes
1 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
1 tsp. sugar


D I R E C T I O N S :

In a saucepan over medium-high heat, cook onion and garlic until tender and transparent. Remove, and set aside (or, you could just leave them in while the beef cooks. I don't think it really matters).

Turn heat to medium-high/high and brown beef until cooked through, stirring constantly to crumble. 
Drain any grease.

Combine beef, onion, garlic, tomato sauce, drained tomatoes, water, and remaining ingredients to the sauce pan. Cook on medium heat, reducing heat to low once it reaches a gentle boil. Simmer, covered,  on low for a while (20-30 minutes if you need it quickly, or you can let it sit on low for longer to let the flavors combine even more). Adjust seasonings to taste.

No comments: