Saturday, January 28, 2012

Yogurt Parfaits with homemade Granola

We are trying to cut out as many processed foods as possible in our home. I recently came upon the 100 days of real food website, and have been very encouraged by it, as well as given many good tips, information, and recipes through it. One such recipe is homemade granola. I have known for a while that it is simple and tasty, but hadn't actually tried it until recently. Homemade granola is a great alternative to store bought cereal. It is cost efficient (depending on what all you put into it), and it really is super simple to make. It also goes great on yogurt parfaits, which is now my 3 year old daughter's favorite breakfast. It is funny to hear has ask for 'my parfait' for breakfast in the morning. 

The version I made is adapted from the original one, only because I was trying to be as frugal as possible. I omitted the cashews, and the bulk bins at my local Earth Fare were out of sunflower seeds. I would like to make this sometime with all of the ingredients because I can only imagine it would be even tastier.

Note: You can also use this recipe to make granola bars.

Yogurt Parfaits

I N G R E D I E N T S :
Plain Yogurt (I use whole milk yogurt)
Granola (see recipe below)
Blueberries (I thaw a handful of frozen berries in hot water for a couple of minutes)
Honey (I use raw honey)
Other possibilities: bananas, raisins or other dried fruit, or other types of berries.

D I R E C T I O N S :
Scoop one cup yogurt in a bowl. Top with granola, berries, and drizzle with honey. 

Homemade Granola
Original recipe found here.

I N G R E D I E N T S :
3 1/2 cups rolled oats (if you want bars use steel cut oats so it will stick together better)
1 cup raw sliced almonds 
1 cup raw cashew pieces (I omitted these but you can also use walnuts or pecans)
1 cup unsweetened shredded coconut (I didn't have any)
1/2 cup raw sunflower seeds (These would be great, I just didn't have any)
1/2 cup raw pumpkin seed
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger (I'm not big on ginger so I think I only used 1/2 tsp)
1/2 teaspoon grated or ground nutmeg
6 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/2 cup honey
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Also need – parchment paper

D I R E C T I O N S :
Preheat the oven to 250 degrees. 
Cover a rectangular baking sheet with parchment paper.
Mix the dry oats, almonds, cashews, coconut, seeds and spices together in a large mixing bowl.
Heat the butter and honey together in a small saucepan over low heat. 
Once the butter melts, stir in the vanilla.
Pour the hot liquids over the dry ingredients and stir together with a rubber spatula until evenly coated.
Spread mixture onto prepared pan in one even layer. Bake for 75 minutes.
The granola will become crisp as it cools at which point you can break into pieces (if making bars) or break it up into small chunks by pounding it in a zip lock bag (if making cereal). 
Store in air tight container at room temperature for up to 2 weeks.

1 comment:

Anca said...

YUM! I've never made granola with butter...I think that's probably what makes it amazing--ha! Mine is ho-hum low fat. Must try the real stuff someday. Thought of you recently when I found a quick granola method that I have to share. Been doing parfaits like you--LOVE them! Picture is beautiful!