Monday, January 30, 2012

whole wheat sandwich bread ::re-post::

I am reposting this recipe because this bread has been gracing our kitchen counter a lot lately, because I have been making it weekly for our sandwich bread. I love this bread. It is so easy to make, comes together quickly, rises in the oven, makes 2 loaves, and tastes great. I am very blessed to be the proud owner of a Vitamix given to me from my mother who was no longer using hers, so I'm able to grind my own wheat for it (you can find wheat berries in the bulk bins at stores like Whole Foods or Earth Fare). I love that this bread is very healthy; it's simply a blend of freshly ground wheat from three types of wheat berries, with no other ingredients besides yeast, salt, water, honey, and oil. If you do not own a Vitamix or grain mill, you can always use whole wheat flour from the store. I like to use King Arthurs's wheat flour when I use store-bought. 

Wheat bread
recipe originally from Sue Gregg
Makes 2 loaves

I N G R E D I E N T S :

6 c flour (If you mill your own flour, a good combination is to use even amounts of hard red wheat, hard white wheat, and soft white wheat. If you are buying flour from the store, King Arthur White Whole Wheat is a good option).
2 1/4 c warm water (temp 110-115 degrees)
1/3 c oil (I prefer Safflower, but Canola or Vegetable will give the same results)
1/3 c honey (I prefer raw honey, but any kind will work)
1 T yeast (I always use Rapid Rise bread machine yeast because it does not need to proof and does great)
2 tsp salt

D I R E C T I O N S :

If you have a good mixer and aren't kneading it by hand, combine the water, oil, honey, and salt into the mixer. Mix until well blended with the whisk attachment. 

After this, switch to the dough hook.

Next, add half of the flour. Mix until just blended.

Add the yeast, and mix again until just blended.

Add remaining flour and mix until just blended. Let it rest for 10 minutes.

Knead with your stand mixer for 6 minutes. The dough should come together so that it's not sticking to the sides.

Put it into greased loaf pans (I've found that greasing with butter works best) and let it rise in a warm oven (170 degrees), covered with a dish rag or cloth napkins, for 45 minutes.

Remove covers (don't forget that part!). 

Turn oven up to 350 (keep the bread in the oven while it is heating), and bake for 25 minutes.

The internal temperature should be 95-105 F.

To cool, loosen with a butter knife and place on cooling rack on their sides.

Use a pastry brush to brush a little butter over the tops for a nice soft crust.

This recipe also makes a great whole wheat pizza dough:
If you are making pizza dough, simply follow the instructions up until letting it rise. Simply combine the ingredients, let it rest, knead it, and roll it out. It makes enough for 2 thick crust pizzas or 3 thinner crust pizzas. You can also freeze the dough balls (I wrap each one in saran wrap and then put them in a freezer ziploc bag) and let one thaw in the fridge the day you want to make it.
To bake the pizza, roll out the dough, add toppings, and bake for 10-15 minutes at 425 degrees.
For a complete pizza recipe including sauce, go here and scroll down.


1 comment:

Bitty Bows Boutique said...

Made this today, using my bread machine to make the dough/rise, then putting it in bread pans to bake. Wow, it was delicious! I am seriously tempted to get a wheat grinder and begin making my own bread weekly...although it could be dangerous on my wasteline. This stuff is so much better than storebought!!