Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Delicious fresh salsa


I recently joined a cooking club, and our first dinner was this past Friday night. Each dinner will focus on a different theme, and this first one was mexican food. I offered to bring the appetizers because I was wanting to try two new recipes: fresh salsa, and queso blanco. In this post, I'll be sharing the salsa, and my next post will feature the queso. Both were very easy and delicious! Everyone was very complimentary of the salsa, so I would have to say it was a success! 

Fresh Salsa
From Pennies on a platter, originally from Annies Eats

I N G R E D I E N T S :
2 fresh jalapeƱo peppers, seeded and coarsely chopped (I only used one, & took out all seeds because I don't like hot salsa, but I think even with two you would be fine because the seeds are what give it heat.)
4 cloves garlic, peeled and halved
2 large vine-ripened tomatoes
1 (28 oz) can diced tomatoes, drained
2 Tbsp. red wine vinegar
1 Tbsp. cumin
1/2 yellow onion, peeled and coarsely chopped
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. ground cayenne pepper
1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves
juice of one lime

D I R E C T I O N S :
Combine the jalapeƱos and garlic in the bowl of a food processor and process until fine chopped (scraping down the sides of the bowl as necessary). 
Add all other ingredients then process in one-second pulses until the salsa is at your desired consistency (about 3-5 pulses). 
Transfer to an airtight container and refrigerate at least 2 hours before serving (the last 20-30 minutes, it's a good idea to sit it out at room temperature so that it's not so cold and also for best flavor).
Will keep for up to two weeks.


1 comment:

Sara said...

I can attest that this salsa is wonderful! Nancy brought this to share at my place, and I am still kicking myself for not keeping a portion that she offered me. Yummy!