Thursday, August 16, 2012

perfectly simple slow cooker pot roast


Everyone has their favorite version of pot roast, and there are who knows how many variations out there. I like to keep ours simple and as healthy as possible by just sticking to some basic ingredients. I tried this one the other day and was very pleased with the results. It was extremely simple to put together and the only part that took any time was peeling the carrots (and you could even avoid that part by using baby carrots). There are no fancy ingredients required, and you probably already have almost all of the ingredients other than the meat on hand. I cooked ours in the crock pot just because I love getting dinner assembled by noon and not having a lot of last minute prep-work. 

We had this with some green peas and 30 minute dinner rolls, and it was a great, satisfying meal. It left me wondering why I don't make roasts so much more often!

Perfectly simple slow cooker pot roast
adapted from Martha Stewart

I N G R E D I E N T S :
  • 1 beef chuck roast (3 lbs)-I bought bottom round roast from the meat counter and had the butcher trim off the fat for me
  • 1 lb carrots, peeled and cut in half or thirds
  • 1-2 onions, peeled and quartered
  • 10-15 small new potatoes, scrubbed and left whole (if using larger new potatoes, I would half them)
  • Coarse salt and ground pepper
  • dash of dried basil (I just sprinkled some over top)
  • 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
D I R E C T I O N S:
In slow cooker, stir together cornstarch and 2 tablespoons cold water until smooth. Add carrots and onions; season with salt and pepper, and toss.
Sprinkle roast with 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper; place on top of vegetables, and drizzle with Worcestershire. Cover; cook on high, 6 hours (or on low, 10 hours).Transfer roast to a cutting board; thinly slice against the grain. Place vegetables in a serving dish; pour pan juices through a fine-mesh sieve, if desired. Serve roast with vegetables and pan juices.

No comments: