Thursday, November 15, 2012

Crockpot cranberry apple herbed pork roast

Hello there! I know, it has been a while. But, I am back with a lot of new recipes waiting to be posted for those who haven't given up on my blog :).

Over the past couple of months, I have been on a hunt for good slow cooker recipes. There are entire blogs dedicated to this topic, but I can be pretty picky when it comes to what I like from a crock pot, so generally try only recipes that have been recommended by friends! Several weeks back, I asked my friends on Facebook what their favorite crock pot recipes are, and I got a lot of responses! I was excited, and saved all of their recipes so I could go through and try them one by one-thank you, friends! My goal has been to do at least one slow cooker meal a week, usually on a day when I am busy and need dinner to be cooking all day long so we can come home and eat without any last minute preparation. Every day that I do this, I think I fall more in love with my crockpot. There is nothing better at the end of the day than driving into my garage and smelling the nice aroma of a meal I don't have to touch until I'm ready to put it on my plate! I am ALL about some easy meals these days! And I also love that this recipe, other than the stuffing, isn't full of processed ingredients, as are so many other slow cooker meals out there. We do eat our share of processed foods, but I try to limit them whenever possible.

A friend of mine raved about this recipe, and it sounded like one that would be perfect for fall. I'm so glad I tried it, because it is really good! And I love that the recipe makes enough for two meals, so as you are preparing it, you simply place half of it in a freezer bag to pull out for another meal. This dinner is very simple, and requires barely any prep time other than making sure you give the pork time to sit with the rub on it. This is a great meal for this time of year, with hints of thanksgiving from the apples, cranberries, and stuffing. And the apples give a hint of sweet and taste like applesauce. If you don't like stuffing, you could always omit this and make a side of potatoes or even cheese grits. MMM...this was a good one! If you are looking for a new slow cooker recipe, give this one a try!

I do not have a picture for this. Sorry! Honestly, it didn't turn out very pretty so a photo wouldn't do it justice!

Crockpot cranberry apple herbed pork roast


I N G R E D I E N T S :
Divided for two dinners (one goes in the freezer)
2 1/2 tsp. sugar
3/4 tsp dried marjoram (I couldn't find any, but you can substitute basil or oregano-I did half of each)
3/4 tsp. rubbed sage
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. celery seed
1/4 tsp. ground mustard
1/8 tsp. pepper
2 pounds boneless pork loin roast divided in two (the pack I bought already had them divided)
4 granny smith apples, each divided in half
1 1/2 cup dried cranberries, such as Craisins (not frozen cranberries, or it will be too tart)
1 pkg stuffing mix, divided in half (I used stovetop for pork)
Celery and cooked sausage are optional additions

D I R E C T  I O N S :
Combine the first seven ingredients, and rub over roast. Cover and refrigerate 4 hours or overnight. 
If roast is not already halved, divide it if you are wanting to save half for another meal.

Place (half) the herbed roast in the crockpot. Surround with half of the apples and half of the dried cranberries. Cook on high for 3 1/2 hours. Do not open during cooking. 

After cooking is finished, put (half) stuffing in the crockpot, allowing it to absorb the juices. Cover, and let sit for 5-10 minutes, or until stuffing is soft. If it does not soften, you may add some boiling water for additional moisture (just about 1/2-3/4 cup should do it).

Reserve half the pork loin, apples, and cranberries. Place all in a freezer bag, remove air, and freeze up to 6 months. It is ready for an easy meal; you just need to thaw, cook, and add the remaining stuffing!

No comments: