Friday, November 16, 2012

Oven baked chicken fajitas


I recently discovered this recipe on Pinterest, and I think my love for fajita making has been taken to a whole new level. I've had a recipe for years that I used to love to make, but it required a little more time, and because everything was sautéed, I didn't like how my house smelled like fajitas for a couple of days afterwards. For that very reason, I haven't made fajitas in a long time, even though we love them. I had tried one recipe for making fajitas in the oven years ago, but wasn't very impressed with the flavor. But for some reason, this one looked good, and since I'm always searching for easy recipes these days, I thought I would give it a try. My entire family loved these. These are prepped in minutes. I love to put these together when my kids are in nap/rest time and let them sit covered in the fridge until I need to put them in the oven...it makes dinner so easy! This is a very healthy meal, too! The seasonings are things you already have in your pantry and are so much healthier than store bought fajita mixes, they bake up quickly, and the chicken and vegetables all come out perfectly. I've already made these twice and they are my new go-to fajita recipe. These are delicious with with whole wheat tortillas and make such a healthy meal. I usually serve them with spanish rice and something green. MAKE THESE! You won't be disappointed and will love how easy they are.

Oven baked chicken fajitas
adapted from Real Mom Kitchen

I N G R E D  I E N T S :
2 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts or tenders, cup into strips
2 Tbsp vegetable or canola oil 
2 tsp chili powder (plus a little more for sprinkling over top)
2 tsp cumin (plus a little more for sprinkling over top)
1/2 tsp garlic powder (plus a little more for sprinkling over top)
1/2 tsp dried oregano (plus a little more for sprinkling over top)
1/4 tsp salt (plus a little more for sprinkling over top)
juice of one lemon or lime (optional but I like the slight added zing it gives)
1 (15 oz) can diced tomatoes with green chills (I use mild, because I don't like much heat)
1-2 medium onions, sliced
1 large bell pepper, seeded and sliced (or you can use half a green and half a red)
12 flour tortillas (we use whole wheat)
Toppings such as cheese, sour cream, and guacamole, if desired

D I R E C T I O N S  :

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.

Place chicken strips in a greased 13x9 baking dish (I use a glass dish and don't have to grease it)

In a small bowl, combine seasonings, oil, and lemon/lime juice. Stir together.

Drizzle most of the spice mixture over the chicken and stir to coat.

Next add the tomatoes, peppers, and onions to the dish and sprinkle remaining spice/oil mixture. Mix together to combine everything.

Stir a little bit of each seasoning over the top of the dish just before baking. 

Bake uncovered for 20-25 minutes or until chicken is cooked through and vegetables are tender.

Serve on tortillas with desired toppings.

No comments: