Friday, January 11, 2013

Warm tortellini soup


This is definitely a new favorite in my house. I made it last week, and we all kept going back to fill our bowl up, eating the entire pot of soup in one sitting. My entire family-my husband, my 4 year old, my toddler, and I all just could not get enough! I was surprised at how delicious it was, because this is such a simple recipe that took no more than 5 minutes to put together. This soup is light in that it is a tomato-based broth but very satisfying and filling with the beans and tortellini, and has such a wonderful flavor. 
I served it with focaccia bread, as I was trying out a new recipe for that as well. The funny thing was that my bread didn't rise the second time like it was supposed to, and came out more like a flat bread. However, it was perfect with the soup because we dipped it and it almost had a crouton-like effect. I will try the focaccia bread recipe again, hopefully with better results next time (and if you want an easy focaccia bread recipe that will definitely work, try this one-it's delicious and easy to make, or this ciabiatta which is wonderful as well). 

I modified this recipe slightly because I didn't have any fresh or dried basil, so I used dried italian seasoning instead. And, I loved the flavor so much that I don't think I'll even try it with the basil next time. I also used slightly less balsamic vinegar because I didn't want it to be too intense, but I think the entire amount would be just fine. I also added a little extra chicken bouillon to the broth.

This soup is great. It's simple enough to put together very quickly at the end of the day when you are low on time, yet the flavor is so good that I wouldn't think twice about serving it for dinner with guests. Simply delicious! The picture doesn't at all do it justice (I was in a hurry!).

Warm Tortellini Soup
From Tables of Content, a Junior League of Birmingham cookbook

I N G R E D I E N T S :
4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth (I also added 1 tsp. of better than bouillon chicken flavor)
9 ounces fresh chicken or cheese tortellini (I used cheese)
1 (15-ounce) can cannelloni, drained and rinsed
1 (15-ounce) can diced Italian-style tomatoes
1/4 cup chopped fresh basil (this is where I substituted 1 Tbsp. dried italian seasoning)
1 1/4 Tbsp balsamic vinegar (I used less, maybe 1/2-3/4 Tbsp but the whole amount would be fine)
Salt and pepper to taste
Freshly grated parmesan cheese for garnish

D I R E C T I O N S :
Bring the broth to a boil in a stockpot over medium heat and add the pasta. Cook for 4 minutes and stir in the beans and undrained tomatoes. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from the heat and stir in the basil or seasoning, vinegar, salt, and pepper. Ladle into soup bowls and garnish with Parmesan cheese.

No comments: