Wednesday, January 02, 2013

Chicken Tetrazzini

Happy New Year!

I made this recipe from the same cookbook as I made my recently posted breakfast casserole from, after hearing that this version of chicken tetrazzini was really good. And it is so, so good! It's a more simplified version of the dish, with fewer ingredients than most versions, but such good flavor. I liked the simplicity of ingredients, and the chicken broth and white wine are always a wonderful combination in my opinion. This was a very simple dish to make, and I actually baked half of it for my family of four and froze the remaining half for a future dinner. Everyone loved this dinner and I will be sure to make it again!

I did not get a photo, but don't let that stop you from trying this recipe!

Chicken Tetrazzini
From Tables of Content, a Junior League of Birmingham cookbook

I N G R E D I E N  T S :

1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
2 cups heavy whipping cream
1 1/2 cups chicken broth
6 Tbsp white wine
1 tsp salt
1 tsp white pepper
3 cups chopped cooked chicken breasts
8 ounces angel hair pasta
1/2 cup (2 oz) shredded parmesan cheese
2 Tbsp butter
1/2 cup fresh bread crumbs (here is a link for making your own)
1/4 tsp salt


D I  R E C T I O  N S :

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Melt 1/2 cup butter in a large stockpot over medium-high heat. Whisk in the flour until blended and cook for 1 minute, whisking constantly. Stir in the cream, broth, wine, 1 tsp salt and white pepper and bring to a boil.
Cook for 8 minutes or until thick and bubbly, whisking constantly. Remove from the heat and stir in the chicken, pasta and cheese. Spoon the pasta mixture into a greased 9x13 baking dish.
Melt 2 Tbsp butter in a skillet. Brown the bread crumbs in the butter and remove from the heat. Stir in 1/4 tsp salt and sprinkle the bread crumb mixture over the top of the chicken mixture. Bake for 20 minutes of until brown and bubbly.

No comments: