Thursday, December 27, 2012

Incredible breakfast casserole ::re-post::

A few years back when we lived in Memphis, I was part of a supper club. One of the recipes from the book we were going through was this wonderful breakfast casserole. It was so good that I've been dying for a chance to make it again ever since then. I finally made it for Christmas this year and it did not disappoint. We ate every last bit (I halved the recipe for my family of four) and every bite was delicious. I did not get a picture, but trust me, you will want to make this! This is the best breakfast casserole I've ever had. Plus, it's easily assembled the night before, which makes for easy breakfast preparation the morning of. I highly recommend it!

Sausage, Egg, Grits Casserole
From Tables of Content, a Junior League of Birmingham cookbook

I N G R E D I E N T S :
1 pound hot bulk sausage (I halved the recipe and when I did, I only used 1 lb mild sausage)
1 pound mild bulk sausage
2 cups (8 ounces) shredded Cheddar cheese
2 cups cooked grits
1 3/4 cups milk, heated
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, melted (I actually forgot to add this, and definitely don't think it needed it)
1 (8-ounce) package corn bread mix
1 (6-ounce) roll garlic cheese, cut up* 
6 eggs, lightly beaten
1/8 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
1/8 tsp. Tabasco sauce

*For the garlic cheese: Kraft no longer makes this. I halved the recipe and for the garlic cheese substitute, I used 3 oz of a block of velveeta and 1/4 tsp. garlic powder. For the entire recipe you would simply double that amount. 


D I R E C T I O N S :
Brown the sausage in a large skillet, stirring until crumbly; drain. Spread the sausage over the bottom of a lightly greased 9x13-inch baking dish and sprinkle with the Cheddar cheese.

Combine the grits, warm milk, butter, corn bread mix, garlic cheese, eggs, Worcestershire sauce and Tabasco sauce in a bowl and mix well. Pour the grits mixture over the prepared layers and chill, covered, for 8-10 hours.

Let the casserole stand for 30 minutes at room temperature. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and bake the casserole for 45 minutes. Serve immediately.

No comments: