Tuesday, July 21, 2009

"melt-in-your-mouth" strawberry muffins



i decided to try this recipe from the wrapper inside my tub of yogurt. these muffins are a great food to make for breakfast; they are pretty healthy (much healthier that most regular recipes) and are quite moist, especially considering that they call for half whole wheat flour. the yogurt i had was whole milk plain yogurt, but the nutrition facts below are for lowfat yogurt. we were happy with how these muffins turned out, and i wonder if using either vanilla or strawberry flavored yogurt would make them even better? plain yogurt is the healthiest option, but i still might experiment next time with a different kind to see how it would affect the taste.

strawberry muffins
from stonyfield farm

this recipe can also be found online at stonyfield farm.

"these muffins are a great brunch item. for extra sweetness, dust with cinnamon sugar while still hot."

I N G R E D I E N T S :

1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
2 eggs
1 cup Stoynfield lowfat plain yogurt
1/4 cup butter, room temperature
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup chopped strawberries (fresh or frozen)


D I R E C T I O N S :

Preheat oven to 375°F. Grease a 12 muffin tin or line it with paper baking cups. In a large bowl, sift together flour, sugar and baking soda. In another bowl, stir together eggs, yogurt, melted butter and vanilla until blended. Toss the strawberries with the flour mixture.
Pour the egg mixture into the flour mixture and stir until the flour is just moistened. The batter will be lumpy. Spoon the batter into the muffin cups. Bake for 20 – 25 minutes, or until the tops are golden brown. Yields 12 muffins.

Nutrition Facts
(1 muffin) Calories 160; Fat Calories 45; Total Fat 5g; Carbohydrate 25g; Protein 5g; Fiber 3g

4 comments:

kj said...

these sound delicious and i have all the ingredients....will need to try. thanks.

Megan said...

I made these a few months ago too, but I found them to be a bit bland : ( I thought about maybe adding a banana or two the next time I make them for some extra flavor.

N said...

megan-i agree that they are pretty mild in flavor...that's why i thought maybe using strawberry or vanilla flavored yogurt might improve the taste. if i try it, i'll let you know how it works.

Anca said...

So I finally made these today. And YUM were they delicious. I made a few changes--1) I used strawberry yogurt & I must say this must have made all the difference b/c the strawberry taste really came out. 2) I used 3 egg whites instead of 2 regular eggs. 3) Whole wheat pastry flour was used instead of whole wheat flour (I tend to like it a lot more for baking). But then added about 1/4 cup of wheat germ + ~2 Tbsp. of ground flax seeds. 4) Used brown sugar instead of regular sugar. 5) When my dough seemed too dry, I added a splash of skim milk. I guess reading that back, it sounds like a lot--sorry.

But, the muffins rose perfectly, were moist with a fluffy texture, & taste delicious.

Thanks for the inspiration!