Friday, October 23, 2009

Delicious Chili

If you don't have a good go-to recipe for chili, I recommend trying this one. This is my favorite chili ever-not too hot or spicy (unless you want it to be), full of flavor, with just a slight sweetness to it, and overall very healthy as long as you use lean meat. I LOVE this chili. I got the recipe from my friend Anne who used to make it for get togethers when we lived near each other. Every time she would make it, I would think about how I just had to get a copy of it! And I'm so happy I can share it with you, too! I'm pretty picky about chili, but I love this one. I love the flavor and that it's so satisfying while being healthy. It's perfect for a fall or winter day, by itself or with baked potatoes.

I apologize for the lack of pictures lately...I hope to get back to that soon.

Chili
by Anne's mom, Kathy

I N G R E D I E N T S :

1 lb. ground beef (i actually use ground turkey most of the time, but either is great)
1 large sweet onion, chopped
1 large green bell pepper, chopped
1 Tbsp. garlic, chopped
1 cup roasted red peppers, chopped (you can usually find these in jars near pickles and olives in the store)
1 tsp. red pepper
1 tsp. black pepper
1 28-oz can diced tomatoes (regular, or the "for chili" kind by Hunts if you can find them)
3 cans kidney beans
2 Tbsp. chili powder (or less if you don't want it as spicy. I usually only use 1 Tbsp.)
2 tsp. cumin
1 Tbsp. sugar
1 Tbsp. cider vinegar
Salt, to taste

D I R E C T I O N S :

Saute onion, red and green peppers, and garlic until tender. Set aside.

Brown beef or turkey, then add the sauteed vegetables back into the pot along with the remaining ingredients.

Heat slowly so the sauce can thicken.

Best cooked and chilled overnight and then reheated.

No comments: