Tuesday, August 17, 2010

chicken tortilla soup

I am starting to long for fall. These hot, summer days have just about gotten to me! Soup is something I love in the fall, but I actually love it all year round, too. Yesterday, chicken tortilla soup started sounding so good, so I decided to make it. My friend Natalie gave me this recipe several years back, and I've been enjoying it ever since! It's super simple, healthy, and delicious.  Adjust the seasonings to your taste and to how spicy/hot you want it. I like my soup mild, so the amounts listed are more to my preference.

I completely forgot to take a picture!

Chicken Tortilla Soup
from Natalie

I N G R E D I E N T S :
1.5 (or less) chicken, boiled and shredded
15 oz. can whole or diced tomatoes {or 5-7 fresh tomatoes, diced}
15 oz. can enchilada sauce
1 large onion, sliced thin
6 stalks celery, sliced thin 
4 oz. can chopped green chilies, drained {or 1 large Anaheim pepper}
a few minced garlic cloves {I use 2-3}, minced
60 oz. chicken broth
2 tsp. cumin {or more, if you like}
2 tsp. chili powder {I use less}
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
few dashes Mexican seasoning {I don't really use this}
1/2 cup salsa
fresh cilantro {optional}
10 oz. package frozen corn
cream, to taste

D I R E C T I O N S :
Boil chicken until cooked through.
In a separate pan, saute onion and garlic in olive oil before adding chicken and remaining ingredients.
Bring to a boil on medium heat; reduce heat to low and simmer. I usually let it simmer for an hour or so, 
making sure celery is tender and flavors have been well combined.
Adjust seasonings to taste.
Garnish with cheese, cilantro, avocado, chips, lime, etc.


1 comment:

amber@This Mommy Cooks said...

I love the new look! Very cute!