Monday, May 07, 2012

lemon poppy seed cake


When my oldest daughter was born, a friend brought us a wonderful dinner that included this cake. Ever since then (for 3 1/2 years now!), I've been meaning to make it and just waiting for a good excuse. So when I recently took a meal to a friend who just had a baby, I thought it would be a nice, spring-like dessert. This cake is easy to make, super-moist, and very yummy if you like lemon desserts. It would also be a great coffee cake to take to a breakfast or brunch.

Lemon Poppy Seed Cake


I N G R E D I E N T S :
1 box yellow cake mix
1/2 cup sugar
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup water
1 cup plain yogurt
4 eggs, or 1 cup egg substitute 
3 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
2 Tbsp. poppy seed

Lemon Glaze:
1/2 cup powdered sugar
2 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
1 drop vanilla extract.

D I R E C T I O N S :
Preheat oven to 350. Combine cake mix and sugar in a mixing bowl. Add vegetable oil and next 4 ingredients and beat with an electric mixer for 6 minutes. Stir in poppy seed. Pour batter in a bundt pan. Bake for 40 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. Cool in pan on wire rack. When completely cool, turn out and glaze.

1 comment:

The Westmorelands said...

i think summer conference would be a great occasion for one of these cakes! :) looks yummy...will have to pin this one! looking forward to seeing you next week!!